This recipe uses frozen spinach ravioli. But you would never know it once you toss them with this sauce made of cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and cream. Here’s what you’ll need for this:
Frozen Spinach Ravioli. You can also use the refrigerated type. Just choose a spinach ravioli that looks like it has thin pasta and is more yellow than white-these tend to have a more homemade flavor and texture (cue my Italian Grandmother rolling in grave).
Cherry Tomatoes. 1 pint-halved
Fresh Basil. About 10-12 leaves chopped,( chiffonade)
Garlic. 1 TBSP, minced
Heavy cream, ½ cup & Half and Half, 1/2 cup
Olive oil. Enough to coat bottom of pan
Salt and pepper.
Fresh Parmesan cheese. Approx ½ cup grated. Plus additional for serving
- Boil your ravioli according to package directions in salted water and a dash of oil-drain and set aside-reserve a bit of the pasta water in case you need it to 'loosen' your sauce at the end
- Coat a deep saute pan with olive oil and heat on medium flame if you are blessed with a gas range, or medium 'temp' if you are cursed, like myself, with an electric stove
- Add halved tomatoes to pan, sprinkle with kosher salt, and cook just until they start to release some juice
- Add garlic and saute, taking care not to burn the garlic- Not a pleasant flavor
- Add in your cream and half and half-stir-and cook slowly- do not boil
- Add in shredded Parmesan cheese-cook sauce slowly allowing it to come together and thicken
- Add in basil-stir-taste-adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- Add your pasta to the sauce-sprinkle them with a bit of parm cheese BEFORE you gently fold pasta and sauce together-this is an Italian trick to make the sauce really stick to the pasta. I also believe it is just another excuse to use more cheese, which I am all for.
- Plate ravioli and serve with additional parm cheese and fresh basil.